Thursday, November 08, 2012

The Scrolled Retablo in El Diablo

Hey gang....I'm changing my workshop at Hacienda Mosaico in  Puerto Vallarta...
It's transforming into a duo class with my beautiful wife Andrea Matus.
So...here's the Skinny:

The Scrolled Retablo in El Diablo
A workshop with Michael deMeng and Andrea Matus deMeng

I remember hearing a Mexican folktale about a beautiful young woman who disobeys here parents and goes to a dance.  She meets a “muy suave”, well dressed dude who sweeps her off her feet for the entire evening…that is until she notices his feet.  One was a hoof and the other was that of a chicken.  At this point she realizes that this was no man…this was el Diablo, the devil.  Being discovered the Devil disappears in a poof of smoke and an odor of sulfur.  Meanwhile the girl is left unscathed, except for a burn mark on her back in the shape of a handprint where el Diablo held her while dancing.   A wonderful little metaphor of the dance of darkness and light, don’t you think?
With this story in mind my wife Andrea and I decided to put together a little class that explores a bit of this same dichotomy.   As many of you may know, my work tends to explore the shadier side of the street, while Andrea’s a touch more ethereal.  So the result was collaborative workshop where Andrea will guide students to create a painted and collaged retablo on a scrolled canvas.   Meanwhile I will be have a bit of fun with students assembling found objects to create the fiendish frame to house the angelic retablos.  A true marriage of Heaven and Hell…or shall we say… beauty in the beast.


P.S. It make take a few days to update on the Hacienda website, so don't be surprised if you see a different workshop listed

dates: 1/27 - 2/2/2013
click here for more info:

2 comments:

Darlene K Campbell said...

Exciting idea!

JonesMoore Studio Art, Lisa JonesMoore said...

oh I SO wish I could attend!Work deadlines will prevent me...darn it! I love Hacienda Mosaico, and Sam and her little dog too :)