Monday, May 28, 2007

deMeng playlist

One of the frequent requests I get from my students is to put out a cd with the music I play in my class. Well I can't legally sell such things, but I decided I'd periodically play a video or music selection from my class playlist. Those of you who have taken classes know that my taste in music is pretty eclectic...a little this a little that...so here's installment number one of deMeng playlist.


Buena Vista Social Club
The first is from the very popular Buena Social Club album. If you don't have this album (the soundtrack to the movie)run and get it. The song I'm featuring is Chan Chan, and I am convinced it is one of the best songs...ever. Something beautiful yet haunting.
Chan Chan -- Ry Cooder and the Buena Vista Social Club


The Shins
So here's my most recent addition to my playlist...Phantom Limb by the Shins. I heard this song for the first time at the airport listening to my IPOD (I had downloaded the album but had not heard it all yet). It was a great song that seemed to match the airport environment. Listen to this song while watching people glide by on the moving walkways and hustle to departure gates...it makes for a nice soundtrack to this setting.


Hope you enjoy the tunes
Michael

6 comments:

Steph said...

I agree with you , I love Buena Vista Social Club !

Cory said...

I was married to a cuban who knew some of the group members. We were lucky to spend a couple of hours whith them after the show in Tucson AZ. Love, Love, the music. Unfortunately a couple of the band members passed, they were in thier 80's during the tour. They had great stories to share about life in Cuba.
Thank you Michel for sharing thier music.

Anonymous said...

That is something that I noticed in your class, you played music (YEAH!!) I think Chan Chan is a song that the more you listen to it the more you connect with it, it would work it's way under your skin and into your system. I have to say I had a smile on face listening to Phantom Limb & imagining the airport scene you described - it does make a great soundtrack.
I am always on the lookout for new things to listen to (my taste is also quite eclectic) so I am really looking forward to further installments. Thanks for sharing. Ux

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

Michael, Glad you are back safely. I just developed my pics from Saluda. I have a wonderful one of you reading from your book. I will send if you like!! !! Blessings, Rebecca

katie said...

i'm half way out the door as i write this...must get a copy of the Buena Social Club, LOVE IT!!! thanks for sharing
katie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Michael, Ry Cooder is a favourite of mine, will now go and see if I can download this music.
Jacky