Friday, December 05, 2008

The Missing Link...or Have You Seen My Monkey?

Ok, so we're back to talking about simians again. That Strange Case of the Sacred Monkey just doesn't stop getting weird. Okay you all know the bizarro story of me finding that little monkey for the commish I did for my friends Joe, Dalynn and their son Julian (the monkey)...if you haven't, click here to get up to date. Here's the finished piece, Monkeyshines. (It weighs 37lbs and is about 4ft tall. The monkey sits in the little nook just above there heads in the center )

The recent turn of events adds to the oddity of this little ape.
Remember the "One More Monkey Note" post where I was pondering who could have actually placed that monkey on the sidewalk? Here's the link to that post. Perhaps it was actually me who placed this little monkey for me to find. Get ready for a mind trip. Not long ago....(well over a month after I delivered the completed Monkeyshine piece, to Joe and Dalynn)...I stopped into another antique mall we have in Missoula. This one called the Antique Market. While I was perusing I came across a bunch of miniature ceramic animals, made by a company called Wade. In thsi bunch of animals I came across the same style orangutan that I used in the commish, so I bought it as a reminder of the weirdo experience. When I got it home I put in in one of my many printer trays where I store my smaller nicks and knacks. Well, the other day I went looking for that little dude...and he was gone. I swear I spent hours looking for him...and he was gone...vanished. So here is my theory...perhaps... Maybe what
happened is that I found the monkey that I purchased the monkey and then placed it into the past for me to find and work with
Another way to looking at it is, the monkey was left for me on the sidewalk by future me.
Its a thought...or maybe I just lost it...or maybe I never actually bought it and that was all delusion... ...nah, I'm pretty sure it was future me.

11 comments:

Stephanie Lee said...

But of course....what else could it be? Suddenly your "uniform" makes sense...black t-shirts are hip no matter the future or past. One must fit in while time traveling, no? :)

Kelly Kilmer said...

LOL, Michael, are you sniffing a lot of glue lately?

;) (couldn't resist...)

Priscilla said...

This piece is magnifico! And in this case, one monkey do make a show. If it's due to glue, then tell me the brand!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to more zany adventures of "future me"...which now that I type it...sounds like an excellent excuse to give to a police officer....

Robin said...

hmmm... then comes the whole deja vu thing.... perhaps you've just explained it all and the sound you hear is everything falling into place.... or NOT!!!

Vickie said...

Hmm, this appears to be an example of parallel time. You know, string theory suggests that we exist in several realities simultaneously. I cite historical evidence from Dan Curtis and Dark Shadows:

Parallel Time: episode 981 (March 30, 1970) to 1060 (July 17, 1970) In a closed-off section of the house, Barnabas and Julia discover a doorway to a parallel universe, where the master of the house Quentin Collins has recently married Maggie Evans, who finds herself threatened by the vengeful spirit of Quentin's first wife, Angelique. Thank you Wikipedia.
That's what happens when you monkey around with time (and orangutans)

The piece really is outstanding! Worth the simian angst.

Anonymous said...

I've always thought there was an almost too-insightful way about you Michael. It would make perfect sense if you were sampling from a broader spectrum of perspective than the present. And for the record, this commissioner feels like he got far more than his money's worth. The fact that "Monkey Shines" baffles my mom makes it all the better. :^)

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, perhaps the stray monkey has gone off to inspire someone else. This may be more akin to Groundhog Day. Have you checked the sidewalk outside the original antique store?

Randy Hill said...

It was definitely "future-you." In fact, I think I was there hiding in the shadows when you place it there, while I was on my own time trip.

Unknown said...

Great Scott! Don't let future you run into present you (or is that past you? hmmm) anyway, the results could be disasterous, according to Dr. Emmett Brown. The encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy. he he

btw, Monkeyshines shines!

discchic said...

I know this is an old blog post, but thankyou! I just spent soooo long looking for information about this EXACT little ceramic monkey. I think I've had it since I was little, so as early as 1977?.... but all I can remember was it being in a plant pot as decoration. I could be wrong. My mom confused me and said it was a cereal box toy... I would love to know when and where they were made. But hey, maybe I HAVE YOUR MONKEY! haha

Thanks again, great blog. Leann