Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Strange Case of the Sacred Monkey


Ok so I've had a strange day. Today was the day I needed to hunker down and get some work done on a commish that I'm doing for someone. It is a family portrait...sort of...more generally speaking and I just got rolling. It's a large piece...about 4ft by 3 ft. and things started to roll after I found a couple of statues at an antique store to represent the couple. Below is a hint of the beginnings of the piece. No paint yet...just raw materials...the figures will change oodles. Now one thing my clients wanted me to include was a representation of there child...who they fondly call their little monkey. So today I decided I needed to track down a little monkey for the shrine. I pondered a bit and my first thought was the Montana Antique Mall (4 stories of goodies). Of course it means weeding through the place to find a small little monkey. Well, no time like the present. I pull up to the curb in front of the building and start walking in. I even pull the door open and I hesitate. I look down on the side walk and see this:
What is it? A piece of rust...poop? Looks like it might be good. I look closer.
Before I go any further...I'll show you where I was when I found the little object...red dot marks the spot.A closer look reveals a tiny ceramic orangutan. Okay this is pretty friggin' weird. What are the odds. I mean seriously...the day I'm looking for a little monkey. Now I'm sure I could have found a monkey, but to find a monkey on the sidewalk in front of a store that is not know for its supply of monkeys. That little thing on the sidewalk could have been anything...a gear...a old tootsie roll...even a ceramic squirrel, but nooooo, a ceramic monkey on the day I need a ceramic monkey. What do you think statistic freaks? Two trillion to one....more...less?

So here is the sacred monkey in his little spot on the piece. I'll post images of the completed piece when its done. But there is some seriously strange mojo going down already. Weird...very weird.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was MEANT to be!!

Jane B. said...

Certain proof that there is no such thing as coincidence - but how absolutely weird!! I have...kinda chills...

Kelly Kilmer said...

Michael,

You're safe unless Rod Serling walks around the corner. If that's the case, run like hell ;)

azirca said...

Oh... stop monkeying around!

*cue twilight zone music*
That is seriously freaky! Perhaps you should invest in a lottery ticket this week?

By the way... I would have thought that it was poop! You're braver (and obviously a lot smarter) than me for investigating further.

Anonymous said...

Forget the assemblage mojo today...run and buy lottery tickets pronto!

Angie in AZ said...

Michael, that is such a cool story! Maybe something about Judy has worn off on you! Can't wait until you finish and post the result!

Sarah E. said...

Go figure! Looking forward to seeing the final...

Stephanie Lee said...

TOTALLY go buy lottery tickets. NOW...and if you happen by Shirley Mclaine on the way, bring her along.

LOVE THIS!! :)

Carmen said...

How cool. Can't wait to see it finished!!!

Anonymous said...

You are the King of Found Objects...all hail the king :-) They seem to find YOU! Funny monkey story, Michael! What a great reminder to look down more often...you just never know.

By the way, had so much fun in Portland, that I will see you in Asilomar!

Roberta

Stacey said...

See, told you that you were good at manifesting what you imagined...from
stace

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pauline Laing said...

Wow, that's so cool!

You know, a similar thing happened to me. I found a scrap of paper stuck to my shoe, and I decided "Hey, this is one of those moments when the direction of the day gets decided by a random event!". I took off the scrap. Turns out, I'd been making up flashcards for the kids to read, and it was one of them.

It said "Poo".

Sigh.

Anyway, 'Hi' from Australia. I did a workshop with you earlier this year, and I'm still boasting about it!

Pauline

Anonymous said...

Mark my words, this piece will have significant weight in your life. Maybe even change its direction.

Nicole Merkens said...

Oh that was the universe interfering. These people must be high on the spritual plane. "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Tara Finlay said...

Well, the "universe provides" and all that, I suppose, right? Definitely a prickly on the back of the neck kinda moment!

Anonymous said...

Oh man Michael, that's too crazy. Outing myself as the commissioner in question, I'll just point out that this isn't the first cosmic coincidence involved in this piece....After all, my wife and I decided separately to commission you for a piece of art as birthday surprises for each other this year. Your story beats ours, but it still all points to a piece that was meant to be. We and our little monkey can't wait to see it!!

Ro Bruhn said...

Wow Michael, I think Judy's knack of finding things is rubbing off on you, was she around at the time?

KV Creative Designs said...

What an amazing story. Thank you for sharing with us! Definitely a reminder to look down more often and pay attention to your surroundings. Can't wait to see the finished piece!

Can't wait til you come back to the Bay Area.

Anonymous said...

Ask and you shall receive :) Do you drink Roses Tea?

Vickie said...

Long ago, when the World was just beginning, two great Bird-like beings set out to create all of the animals in Borneo. One day, after much work, the Bird gods discovered the formula for a new kind of
animal--human kind. After successfully creating both a man and woman, the Bird gods rejoiced long into the night, celebrating their grand accomplishment with a gigantic feast.

In the morning, the Bird gods decided to mix up another batch of humans. However, they were still very tired from their nightly revels, and accidentally left out a part of their recipe. To their great surprise, this second creation didn't turn out humans--they got a batch of orangutans instead!

And that was how the Orangutan, the Man of the Forest, one of the first Great Apes, came into existence.
At least according to an ancient Dayak tribe myth, anyway! Truth be told, humans and orangutans are amazingly similar--we share approximately 97% of our genetic makeup. (Chimpanzees, our closest living relatives, just barely "beat" orangutans, possessing an approx. 99% identical DNA structure to man.)

There are no coincidences.
Very cool.

michelle renée bernard said...

What a great story! I just love serendipity. All you have to do sometimes is think really hard.

Scooter said...

what a great little statue! i wonder how many people noticed it there and wished people would pick up after their dogs...

barbe said...

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?? Even if ghosts have to throw things at you to get it done, LOL.

Its always amazing how certain things will literally JUMP out to the right person when the time is right. Doesn't matter that others have passed it by a 100 times, its invisible until the right person comes about. A really profound moment to experience, and when you do you feel so existential.

Judi said...

Ha! You've just been hanging out with Judy too much - that sort of thing happens to her ALL the time. It must be "catching"!

christygrant said...

Absolutely perfect and of course it was meant to be. I LOVE things like that! :)