Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Art Lab #2: the Alchemist Toolbox. REGISTER NOW!!!!!

Another OnLine class is on the way! Yee haw!
This time: TOOLS.  Specifically, tools that I use and how I use them in my work.   I mean we have to figure out ways dissect things and then resect thing in weird and wonderful ways.  This is Humpty Dumpty 101...except we are going to actually put Humpty Dumpty back together again.
To do this we need tools.  Some hand tools but also power tools....yay!  I know many folks are what I call "powertool-o-phobes".
My goal is to show you how to use them safely and with confidence.  So don't fret!

Each artist uses different tools to do the voodoo that they do so well.
For instance, one of the things we will be spending a fair amount of time on is the Dremel rotary tool. It comes with lots of bits and I'll shed some light on those various attachments and what in the heck they are for.    Of course I'll also show you how to make cool sparks...see..
Then of course there are things like drills....though much smaller than this one:
 We will start off with the hand held power drill before we get into the Journey to the Center of the Earth machines.

And then we will chat about things like: rivet guns, torches, Crop-a-diles, vices (the tool kind...not the martini kind),  and a bunch of other stuff.
Fear not ! Tools are you friend.

Ready to sign up? 
Starts on May 27, 2011 

$59.99










Anticipated Questions
  1. How much does it cost?  A: $59.95
  2. When does it begin? A: May 27, 2011
  3. How long does it run?  A: The class will be available for 2 months before I change the codes, but students will be able to access information after that date when I send out the new codes.
  4. How does it differ from live class?  A: Online classes allow for a bit more in depth explanations of techniques etc.
  5. Will there be video?  A: Yes.  I have about 180 of minutes of protected video that only students will be able to access.
  6. How many videos?  A:  Roughly about 180 minutes of video is included in the instruction.  
  7. Will there be PDFs?  A: Yes.  You will be able to download these to your computer and access them anytime you desire.
  8. Will it be live?  A: No.  I will not be doing live video, but I will be setting up a Yahoo Group where I will be available to discuss your questions and issues once a week.
  9. Can you tell me more about the Yahoo Group?  A: Students can access this anytime and discuss issues with other students.  Once a week I will be available and answer all questions.
  10. Is the class segmented or do I get everything at once?  A: I have designed the class so you will have access to all the information at once and can play with it as you like, at your own speed.  New weekly videos will pop up with additional tidbits and tips.
  11. What kind of site is being used to host this class?  A: I'm using a protected TypePad account.
  12. How will I access the TypePad account?  A: When class begins I will send out passwords and usernames to all the students.  
  13. What else will be on the blog?  A: Along with the PDFs and Videos I will be posting the major questions as they come up, and the solutions.  I will also do weekly video addressing these questions.
  14. Is this for Beginners or Advanced students?  A: It's for everyone.  I've made it so it is information that can be used by all levels.
  15. Will it be entertaining?  A: Geez, I hope so.  I will try and make it very un-dry and fun.
  16. How will  you accept payment.  A: PayPal
  17. What will happen after I sign up?  I'll send you a confirmation to say "howdy" and then just sit back until I start the Yahoo group.  At that point  you'll get an email inviting you to join prior to class and meet some of the other students.  Then on 5/27/11 I will send out the TypePad site, codes, etc.
  18. How do I sign up?  A: Click the little button and you're off and running. WooHoo!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so there!! The last class was hands down the best workshop I've taken. Fun and informative!! Can't wait to loose some of my fear of power tools:)

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I have no fear of power tools but this will give me an excuse to chop some things up! LOL!
And yes, the last workshop was wonderful!
Digging out the lab coat.....

XXOO~~
Anne

Theresa said...

Hey Michael, Already signed up and am so looking forward to learning all your secret magic tricks. Can't get enough.

Elena said...

The Groupie here...was there any doubt I'd sign up? Now I have an excuse to ask for power tools. Yes!

Anonymous said...

Just signed up!!! Thinking about selling my welder and cutting torch and getting a combo machine with a plasma cutter, will this be ok for the workshop? Just kidding, love your work and your demented wit,and tuning up the hand tools!!! :)
G.

Dolly Smith said...

is it important to actually own a bunch-o-tools? I was eyeballing a little Dremel today, but until I know how I would use it I am not certain. I do have a power drill, though.

THJ-Cosmocissy said...

Michael..... Count me in.... I just sent my eldest son an email of this site .... He knows you're my fav artist.... So great ! I told him wow it my rusty man .... This would be the perfect moms day gift for you and lil bro.... I'm so there, well ... Here - Ok you know what I mean... Yayyyy !!! Can't wait!!!! So excited sweetie !!!!! Cissy

Anonymous said...

Man, I am in! Count me in!!! Gotta support a fellow Montanian. I am from Kalispell.

Thespa McLaughlin said...

I'm so glad you've started having online classes. Maybe now I'll actually get to attend one. Yeah Me!

Unknown said...

Hey gang..welcome aboard!
@Dolly - no need to get the power tools yet. I'll explain the different types of Dremels and Drills so depending what you decide to do you can make the right choice.

@G LOL...yes I think a plasma cutter would be pretty niffty...don't think we will get to that in this class...plastic dolls tend to melt.

Anonymous said...

Signed up. Going to be a long 2 months.
Molly

Debs said...

Cool, now I can have a workshop with you in England! I loooove power tools, (I'm an engineer) and need a kick up the jacksy to use them!

Am I too late for Art lab #1?

Cheryl Simpson said...

Hey Michael,
Signed up the first day through Jenny Doh's Facebook but haven't heard from you yet...Just making sure I'm on the list for when classes start. I can't wait!

Dale said...

just sent off my paypal payment... can't wait for class to start! :)

Prncess said...

Can you take the second class without having the first? Or can I take the first or is it closed? Or... just kidding
Thanks for the information!
Sherry

Unknown said...

Hi Sherry
You can definitely take the second class without the first. They are mutually exclusive. I'll probably run the first one again in the fall. Hope to see you there
M

Dolly Smith said...

Sorry, one more question before I buy in. I will be traveling during a week in early June. Give me another week to recover when I get home and collapse- will missing out on two weeks be a problem? I know it's all pre-done, but I hate to be missing anything that might be live.

Unknown said...

Hi Dolly
it's mostly pre-taped so that you can do it at whatever pace you want…theoretically you could blast through on the very last day if you wanted. i will be offering a weekly Q and A video each week based on the questions that pop up in the Yahoo group discussions.
hope that helps
M

Kathy said...

Looking forward to this class. Being a jewelry maker I have tool experience, but I'm sure there'll be lots of new information. Quick question - I took the Colorwash Workshop, but had a lot going on at the time. Are there new codes that would allow access to the videos?

Thanks.
Kathy G

PennyMc said...

Question: If I'm already familiar with dremels, drills, etc. will this still teach me something cool I don't already know? I'm basically begging you to twist my arm a little here.

revadrchee said...

Will you be offering your online class segments again so I can pick up the one's I missed?