Saturday, May 17, 2008

To create you must destroy

Its a beautiful day in Missoula. Everything has turned a vibrant green overnight. So what is one to do on such a nice day when you're not inspired to go inside the studio and work. Well, if it were me, first thing I would do is hook up with my buddy Tim for lunch and a few India Pale Ales, on the deck of the Old Post Pub. Now this , as you would imagine , leads me to being less inspired to go to work. So off to see an exhibit of abstract expressionists at the University of Montana...deKooning, Kline and an early Pollack highlight the exhibit.I head home to do some work, but I just can't seem to get into my groove today. I dink around for a few minutes...then I decide I'll go see Iron Man. I have to say I never read the comic but it looked cool, plus Robert Downey Jr. is always good and cynical.So the show was great mindless fun, yet quite inspiring, watching the main character, Tony Stark busy inventing the Iron Man outfit. It made me want to be an inventor....like Nikola Tesla...who was way cool...and David Bowie did a pretty good impersonation in the film The Prestige.So, I'm back at the studio, wanting to invent something but alas my brain is in a different mindset. I decide since I can't create I shall destroy. Nothing like a little destruction to get the cobwebs out. What to dismantle?
Ah yes Typewriters! For those you who have never experienced the process of dismantling a typewriter, lets just say that it is a bit complex...especially if you have any intent on rebuilding it....which, of course I don't. The interior of a typewriter looks something like this. Don't forget the twenty million screws.
Those of you who may be squeamish at the sight of the antiques being dismembered might want to close your eyes. Some have certain ethics about taking such things apart...I however do not. Its time has passed...now it is mine (evil villain laugh).
It begins with a screwdriver and bit by bit the pieces are removed.
Some parts are a bit stubborn....time to pull out the Dremel and let the sparks fly.....woooohoooo!A desolate landscape left behind, but to me it is pure treasure...hundreds of little goodies and trinkets left behind for me to play with.
And of course there is the Holy Grail ...not sure what the technical name is, but it is I always the best piece.I know exactly what I want to do. Now I am inspired. Now I can get some work done.

14 comments:

azirca said...

Disassembling objects can be very satisfying. I love the Holy Grail part, especially with the wash of golden light that is cast upon it's surface, Holy Grail indeed!

Anonymous said...

nice post...

Word on the street is that you'll be in my jurisdiction sometime in August...do you concur?

Anonymous said...

Oh, do I dream of old typewriters to rip apart. Sweet!

Anonymous said...

this is my favorite post of yours in forever. You always write very cool/funny/thought provoking stuff, but this one...there is just something about it - seeing that you have uninspired days, that you watch movies just for fun, that you get sick and twisted joy out of dissection and dismantling objects of such beauty. I'm with you on it...it's lived it's intended purpose and it's time for a new one.
As much as I love this post, I could also reach through the screen and punch you in the arm: a few years ago I picked your brain about dismantling an old typewriter and you gave me a blank "what are you talking about" stare. :)

Thanks for the peek into your little humblingly genius world. (Often I invent adjectives to suit my needs, FYI). :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael!

Loved this post! I'm so glad you posted the dismantling of a typewriter! I bought an old 1920 and have been looking at it trying to figure where to start and yet afraid to wreck it!

I'm sooo looking forward to your class June 1!

See you there!
Oh..BTW coincidently, I just finished an assemblage called the inventor.

Dale said...

the act of dismembering a typewriter can be a beautiful thing hahaha. I accidentally spilled milk across my keyboard a couple months ago, and it was toasted. However, i found another cheap, and scavenged my old keyboard. If pulling apart a keyboard was enjoyable, i can only imagine how fun it would be to do an antique typewriter!

Sam Marshall said...

David Bowie???!!! I'm there. Glad you've been inspired. xxxxx

Kim said...

I have had one of those babies for quite some time now and haven't tackled taking it apart yet. Think maybe I will do that today!

Gretz said...

So enjoy reading your blog Michael. Me thinks it's about time I tackled another a-ssem'blage, and started slapping some usge around.....

I saw the class sample for your shoe shrine class (At the artistic journey retreat in 2007) on the weekend. It was just AMAZING!!! being a lover of shoes I went into meltdown when I saw it. somehow I don't think that Jacki would part with it though!

Jen Crossley said...

I have tryed to dismantle on of these little beauties go forward and kill crush destroy Im sure it will be fab when your done
Jen

The Studio at Crow Haven Farm, LLC said...

Ok, love the whole destruction thing going on in this post...God knows that My friend Tracey loves to light things up! LOL However, no has mentioned the wonderful photo of the mouth watering India Pale Ales! Try Golden Monkey! Trust me, if you like India Pale Ales, you will love Golden Monkey. I hope all is well. I spoke to Karen Landey and I'm awaiting my DVD with you on IT!!! Keep creating and making us crave more!

kdj said...

I think Tony Stark was the role Robert Downey Jr. was meant to play. Here's to destruction & invention.

barbe said...

wow. look at those typewriters!

Theres a great Tesla bio I got Rob for Xmas, I'm waiting for him to finish it so I can read it. Its titled "Tesla-Man out of Time" by Margaret Cheney.

Chris said...

I love getting caught up with your blog. This post is so great. I enjoyed Iron Man and The Prestige (the book was better!), but that oiling diagram... YUMMY. love it all. thanks.