Wednesday, November 26, 2008

See you Tsu-oon

We have a cool new store in Missoula called... Tsunami. It's one of those hip alternative toy stores that is somewhat for kids but really an excuse for adults to by toys. Here's what I'm getting my nephew for Xmas. Don't worry he doesn't read my blog. Pretty fun stuff...in a cute yet gruesome sort of way. She also has a great book selection and, yes, my book is in there, along with Liz McGrath, Mark Ryden, not to mention a great book called Beautiful Mutants, that I just sent to Judy for her birthday.The owner, Susan is great and has a swell (might even say nifty) store. First time I stopped in was a First Friday Gallery Night and she gave me a blank Munny Doll and wanted me to modify it.
So here's what I did to it.I call him Polyphemus...the cyclops from the Odyssey. He even poops...escape hatch not shown.

One thing about making toys is that it is somewhat liberating. You don't worry so much about "is this art?" type of stuff. Here are a few others I worked on over the summer. They are for the Island of deMented Toys class I'm teaching next year.
Here's the contact info for Tsunami (web site not up yet)
Susan@lepetitoutre.com
101 S Higgins Ave
Missoula, MT 59802
(406) 541-8699

That's it for now.
Happy Thanksgiving.

11 comments:

Teresa said...

These are brilliant Michael! I love them. I'm going to show my children what you can do to things. That will help keep them in line ;)

Dale said...

Such a fascinating job on the toy there michael! What a great blank slate to work with too. Awesome work :)

Priscilla said...

I think I recognize the mouth and jaw line of the the muera senoritas on Polyphemus. Wonderful, and a major improvement!

glimmering prize said...

This is way cool! My son Henry just checked out the pix of the Munny and said- "dude, can you get me one of those for xmas! I want to do that too!" You're an inspiration to us all!(smirk)
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving-
PS- knowI'm a few days shy on the vampire cabinet- but man that's bleeping fantastic!

Jen Crossley said...

This is way cool Michael ,I bet Judy loved the book
Jen

Leslie and Sylvan said...

I can't wait to take the class. I keep thinking of Sid from Toy Story!
Leslie

HeArt Collective said...

fun & FAB, just like you!!!
hope you're havin' fun in MT!

take it easy...
jul

Pauline said...

I think you'd better bring your "DeMented Toys" class to Australia. My toys are trying to go that way already, and the workroom's getting crowded - and scary!

Fantastic Munny toy - I need one, and so does every other member of my family!

kdj said...

So that's what Mark Mothersbaugh is doing now. Awesome Munny.

Roberta said...

I love your altered toys!! Wonderful!! (all your work is!)
MORE! MORE, please!

Mandy Jordan said...

"Is this art?" is all fine and good for late-night discourses over beer; but a total liability in the studio. Glad the toys allowed you to "shush" that particular voice!