Join Michael and Judy on a collaborative Bali workshop.
"Temple of Dreams"
An 8 day life altering experience...not to mention 5 days of intensive art workshops with Michael deMeng and Judy Wilkenfeld.
March 11-19 2009
In this class, "TEMPLE OF DREAMS" Judy Wilkenfeld and Michael deMeng are teaming up for a Balinese art workshop experience. Our concept was to come up with a workshop where students could experience both of our unique teaching styles and create a unified piece of art from the process.
It was important for us to design a project that had a definitive relationship to Balinese culture. One of the most profound images in Balinese culture is the Meru; the multi-tiered, pagoda style temple. It symbolizes the world (or cosmic) mountain and is composed of several odd numbered tiers (no more than 11) that reach toward the sky. This is the form we will be using in class…though admittedly, much smaller, so that it could be transported in a suitcase.
In class we will be building a mixed media/assemblage meru that will have the ability to be opened at each tier. Inside students will create a sacred space for dreams and wishes. The interior space will be created using the methods of assemblage, collage, and painting. Perhaps it is a home for your dreams, perhaps it is a home for your sacred thoughts. In the end you leave learning a variety of techniques from two artists to create your own Temple of Dreams.
What is included in the workshop fee:
- A 5-day intensive workshop with Michael and Judy
- 8 nights of double occupancy accomodations at Apakabar Villas; www.apakabarvillas.com
- A day trip to to Ubud, the culture arts center of Bali- with lunch included.
- We will be making efforts to schedule a reading with Mr. Ketut Lyier, the medicine man and to visit Wayan, the healer mentioned in Elizabeth Gilbert's best selling book, "Eat, Pray, Love" http://www.elizabethgilbert.com/faq.htm#FAQ
- Group snorkeling, beach excursion
- A private one 1 hour massage
- An evening of Traditional Balinese Dance Performance
- Balinese temple excursion and ceremony with the priests
- A magnificent hike through the nearby river valley, past rice patties and local villages
- Time for swimming and enjoying the pool and grounds of Apakabar Villa's restaurant
- Daily, fresh prepared breakfast and dinner at Apakabar Villa restaurant
- All transportation to and from excursions during the workshop week
- Transportation to and from the airport at Dempasar, Bali.
*Arcangelo Productions reserves the right to make changes in the itinerary if needed to due weather or other circumstances beyond our control.
What is NOT included in the workshop fee
-any food, beverages or meals not specified in the itinerary
-gratuities to Apakabar Villa staff
-required workshop supplies
-There may be a kit fee for this retreat to help minimize the need travel with larger materials. This is to be announced.
Please Note Apakabar Villas does offer a lanai-style Cafe
Please Note Apakabar Villas does offer a lanai-style CAFE serving lunch daily as well as alcohol and other edible delights during the workshop.
As noted these items are not included in the tuition price but are available for the group convenience.
This workshop is being hosted by Stacey and Rob of Archangelo Productions (also hosts of my Cortona, Italy workshop),so its sure to be a great experience and is very professionally run.
Phone, Bali workshops: 503.381.2434