Friday, December 21, 2007

Making goodies

Cracks me up. I thought I was being obscure when I put the Dark Shadows entry up, but apparently there are a few vampire freaks like myself out there. If you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up...I would have been a vampire...I would have been a nice one though.

Okay, I promised a few images for y'all. Here are a few of the things that I've been working on.


LONG TIME
This one is made from a cool old level as the base. I also dissected an neat ol' antique clock. for parts.

I should mention that that interesting silver plate on the front was from a vintage shaving kit/device it was in a box that worked as a sharpener. Oh and that red button is from a guy selling old Soviet pins.





STONE MASON
Now speaking of shaving kits. The box that is made of was the shaving kit box that I spoke of. Pretty cool huh. Much of this batch of stuff came from Balmain, which has some great flea markets and a great junk shop. The shop I'm speaking of has some great collectibles and junk everywhere, which is funny because, Mike, who owns the shop is obsessive compulsive. Everytime Judy or I would pick up an item, he would be worried we didn't put it back in just the right way. Trust me he noticed the slightest change in his clutter.


Check out the Masonic whatever it is at the bottom. I picked up a couple of these at. Pretty nifty.


INTER-TWINNED
as you can see I have plenty of clock parts to work from. That is the great thing about old clocks...there are so many gears inside them...they go on and on. One note of caution, though, some times when you dissect them you can snap a coil or a spring and create a little rotary saw out of the gears. This happened when I was working on this piece. Gave me a nasty cut. The things I do for my art....

I should also mention that the antennae on the top of this piece are actually from a devils claw that Mary sent me last summer. I finally was able to use them. Thanks Mary.




Portland here we come!
Congrats to my beautiful Judy for getting into Art and Soul Portland Oct 2008. Very exciting! Perhaps someday we'll figure out how to do a collaborative class...we're thinkng. Now I can show around Portland and take her to the infamous Voodoo Doughnuts.

Ciao for now and have a great holiday. Next time I'll share some of my images from Judy's and my adventure to Bowral and Grandpas shed.

M

7 comments:

azirca said...

What visual treats Michael! I love them all but 'INTER-TWINNED' has something about it that is really intriguing, maybe it's those devil claws! Yikes! I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of those.

A collaborative class between you and Judy... the mind boogles, how fabulous that would be!

Steph said...

Your goodies are awsome ! I can't pick a favorite ... well maybe the first one ... no the second one or was it the third ?! )

Christie said...

I really love your blog and art, it's right up my alley as a matter of fact I had been out looking for devil's claws today, but only ended up with cockleburs and sticktights all over my sweater and worn out from the hike. What will you be doing with your bat?

jean benabou said...

Very inspiring pieces!!!

Ro Bruhn said...

Fabulous work Michael, I'm all inspired to make some pieces in my three weeks holiday break.
Have a Happy Holiday season with Judy and her family

Jen Crossley said...

Love all your pieces Michael Australia agrees with your art work so just stay here LOL.

Hope to see both you and Judy In Feb 08 in Melbourne and take you both shopping
Jen

Gretz said...

I just LOVE these pieces - please bring them to Melbourne for us to drool over. Just make sure Jen Crossley keeps a few steps back or I'm sure she will dribble all over them ;-)