Monday, May 14, 2007

There and back again...

So I'm home for a day and a half. Enough time to mow my rather overgrown lawn and to do laundry before my big flight across the Pacific. My darling Judy awaits.

So to keep everyone up to speed...
I had a great week in North Carolina. Had a couple days of to myself after Virginia to regroup. so pretty much just chilled out and did some junking . I had some great finds. I found some great old padlocks for about five or six bucks a piece in Hendersonville. Big time score.

Later that day I went on a hike to Bradley Falls in Saluda. There is a beautiful perch high above the big Bradley falls...quite a drop I must say...it would be a long drop before you even hit anything. So I sat up on the edge of the rock and took in the view...after a several minutes I looked over and saw a raven perched in a tall tree about 20 feet away. We were about eye level...he looked a me and I him. I tried my raven talk but he only squawked at me once.

The next day I went into Asheville, had lunch with my buddies at Lark Books, Nicole McConville and Terry Taylor. A little Thai food and we hit a few galleries. First was at the Blue Spiral. Some good work by Lisa Clague, but the work I was really drawn to was some slightly erotic work...yet a bit melancholy, by Mark Schieferstein.

Next stop was a skateboard shop called Push. A fun retro-ish show by David K. Rose. I'm a sucker for 50's robots and devils.

After that I said ciao to the pals, and hit the Tobacco Warehouse antique mall. Found a number of things but the really cool stuff was larger than I wanted to deal with. I can only imagine how much I would spend if I lived in this neck of the woods.

Later that night had a nice reception at Random Arts. This is a great little store and Jane is a great host. After the crowd arrived I did a little "Secrets of Rusty Things" pimpin'...read some passages and answered some questions....did a few magic tricks (not really but how cool would it be if I could do that...something to think about). Fun time...then off to bed...the next day was a teaching day. Whats on T.V....Addams Family...perfect...not long before I was fast asleep.....
To be continued............

6 comments:

jo said...

Hi Michael,
Have a safe flight and a great time while you are here!!
See you in December,
Love Jo

kdj said...

a sucker for '50s robots & devils? you might enjoy john purlia's photography :)

Judy said...

Counting the hours Gomez!!!

Megan Pickwell said...

Can help with the magic tricks! At age 16 I used to be cut in half in a magic show!
safe travel to your loved one, we are turning on some spectacular Autumn weather for you downunder!
Megan

tiffini elektra x said...

Looking forward to spotting those excellent padlocks enmeshed in some fabulous future piece of yours.
P.S.
Some music is on zee way to you. . .

carylsrealm said...

Ooooh! How exciting! We are heading to Ashville in June! :)